Kate is the co-Artistic Director and Founder of The Multi-Story Orchestra with conductor Christopher Stark. Multi-Story began with a performance of Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring for 101 musicians in a car park in Peckham in partnership with Bold Tendencies, to an audience of more than 1,500 people.
Multi-Story now performs in the car park every summer as well as taking the orchestra around schools in a Tour Bus and running choir projects. Kate’s own pieces Alive and I am I say have been performed in the Car Park by amassed choirs from schools and community groups
Multi-Story’s performances have been widely acclaimed:
- Heroically conducted by Christopher Stark…left ears ringing and spirits leaping – The Observer, 2014
- Where are classical music’s next generations of listeners? They were there, before us, a thousand of them – The Arts Desk, 2011
- No gimmicks, not even a spoken introduction, just raucous applause when the conductor Christopher Stark arrived at his music stand and hard, keen listening from the shocked, fascinated and enchanted crowd who came to listen – Gramophone, 2014
- Absolutely incredible… unsurprisingly, there is an ecstatic response – Classic FM, 2014
- Selected in The Independent’s Musical HighNotes of 2011
- The ideal antidote to the sanitised safety of London’s new music scene – The Evening Standard, 2013
- Featured in BBC 4’s documentary ‘The Sound and the Fury’ as an example of classical music being revolutionized in the 21st century
- Performances have been broadcast by Sky TV and Channel 4 and featured on Radio 3 In Tune, BBC London and Classical FM
THE RITE OF SPRING
On the 23rd July 2011 Multi-Story put on Stravinsky’s masterpiece The Rite of Spring. The performance was selected as one of The Independent’s ‘Musical Highlights of 2011; ‘Where were classical music’s next generation of listeners? They were there, before us, a thousand of them’ (The Arts Desk Review). In collaboration with BOLD TENDENCIES and Nonclassical Footage shot by Kai Clear and Janka Troeber.
PECKHAM SCHOOLS TOUR
On the 19th April 2012, with a tour bus carrying an orchestra of 50 people, Multi-Story visited 4 schools in Peckham: Harris Boys Academy, St Johns and St Clements, Kender Primary, and John Donne Primary. The orchestra played Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet, Ravel’s Mother Goose Suite, Stravinsky’s Firebird and John Adams’ Short Ride in a Fast Machine 5 times in one day, to a total of more than 1,000 children. Film by Joanna Beaufoy.
On Saturday 14th July 2012 Multi-Story performed John Adams’ Harmonielehre in Peckham Rye Multi-Storey Car Park. Conducted by Christopher Stark, in partnership with BOLD TENDENCIES.